Thursday, September 29, 2011

Prague to Kynsperk: the Czech equivalent of Sydney to Cygnet.


Alright…so we left off in our final night in Prague. Next stop on our European adventure was North-Western Czech Republic. My grandma comes from a small town  called Kynšperk which is very close to the German border. When I say ‘small’, I don’t mean Hobart small, I mean one-shop small. Essentially the town equivalent of me. I’d been communicating with my cousin, Little Liba, so my family were expecting me at some point, but they are not the easiest people with whom to make contact. At least, I thought they were expecting me. (Also, I should clarify that Little Liba is the name we use to differentiate between my cousin Liba, and her mother, Big Liba; likewise my uncle Big Mirek and my cousin, Little Mirek.)

I was very sad to be leaving Prague, but also excited to be seeing my family again, and more of Europe. What I was not excited about was getting from Prague to Kynšperk (or even from our room to the lobby) without my apparition licence. My bag is kind of big.When I say ‘big’, I don’t mean "big" like a serve of Gold Class wedges, I mean big like Greece’s economical and political problems. Let me put this into perspective: I weigh 40 kilos and my bag weighs 20 kilos. Kaitlyn says I look like a turtle. If I stand with my back to her, she can't see my head; I am literally just a bag with legs. Pretty rank, muscly legs too, thanks to the endless cobblestone-trekking thus far undertaken.








Somehow, we made it to the train station and made our way to purchase tickets for our 10.20am train. As we patiently waited and moved to the front of the queue, two (separate) people literally shoved us out of the way and pushed in front of us. Advice From an Objective Foreigner: Speaking on behalf of all tourists, we are aware that we are tourists in your country. However, although we do not pay taxes, our visit – in particular our predilection for drinking - has injected enough money into your economy to warrant our position in a queue to be acknowledged. In other words, I don’t give a shit that you live here, I was waiting first.

As cynical as I am, I have a tendency to take everything I read on the Internet as Gospel (including my Facebook relationship status which hints at a slightly less-depressing love-life). Just because the online time-table says the train leaves at 10.20am, doesn’t mean it does; it was one hell of a waddle to reach the 9.38am train on-time. As I was attempting to navigate the steps without rocking backwards and landing on my shell, I heard a whistle blow and, next thing I know, the train was pulling out of the station. We eventually found a carriage which only had one other person in it. And what a person she was – a really sunny, winning personality. Now I am aware that I am somewhat notorious for my derisive and sarcastic nature, but comparatively, I’m goddamn Sandra Dee. I have no idea what her name was, but she was from Finland and had recently moved to the Czech Republic. When we expressed positive sentiments about Finland, she looked at us like we were insane. ‘It’s horrible. The most depressing place in the world. Don’t ever go.’
‘Oh…okay…’ Awkward.

Her delivery wasn’t even sarcastic, but miserable and monotone. ‘It’s just f$!@ing awful. If I’d stayed there any longer I would have died. I would have killed myself. Talking about it makes me want to kill myself.’ Okay, then let’s stop talking about it. Turns out
"F$!@ing Finland" wasn’t the only thing that made her depressed. In fact, I don’t think anything didn’t.
The twenty cent coffee she brought on the train: ‘This coffee is horrible. I think drinking it might kill me.’
The nice Czech lady who sold her the allegedly horrifying coffee: ‘Why is she so
f$!@ing happy?’
The temperature on the train: ‘It is so hot in here. I just want to kill myself so I am not hot anymore.’

When we were approaching her stop, I offered to help her carry her stuff off the train. (I promise it was because I believe in "paying it forward", and not because I wanted to push her off and make all her dreams come true.) As we pulled into the station, I mentioned to her that this town was the only town in the Czech Republic to suffer any extensive damage during the War. ‘Oh good. It looks f$!@ing ugly. All the ugly buildings will remind me of being in Finland. I won’t get homesick.’ I guess one could consider this a glass-half-full view of the situation.

It was nice to have the carriage to ourselves so we could openly discuss all the good which exists in the world and not fear assassination. However, all too soon our train trip was over and we arrived in Kynšperk . My family – the Wolfs – run the solitary shop in the town, so when I’ve been there in the past, I’ve just arrived at the shop because there is always
someone there. Despite having not been able to get in contact with Little Liba that morning, I said to Kailtyn we’d be fine to rock up to the shop. It was one of the very few times in my life I was wrong. Because of my cousin’s wedding, there was a big sign in the window declaring the shop closed until Monday. And it wasn’t as if I could duck into Macca’s and use the free Wifi to Facebook her. (This town is yet to even experience the wonder that is dial-up Internet.) Hoping there would be someone in the building (they live above the shop), I knocked on the door…but there was nada. So we lumbered across the road to a park bench and sat. And waited. Keep in mind it was a 39 degree day, and this was right about lunch time.

Looking back, the whole situation was kind of funny. At the time, it was not. Sitting there in this tiny town (in the country where Hostel was filmed), having nowhere to go, having no phone, no food, no alcohol…then, suddenly, we weren’t alone. We heard this low, humming
sound. Kaitlyn looked at me. ‘What the [hell] is that?’
‘I have no idea….’ I didn’t share these thoughts with her at the time, but it did momentarily flash through my mind: Eastern European country, on the German border… The humming sound began to get louder and louder, but we still couldn’t see anything. Even I was starting to get a little concerned.

‘Seriously – what the [HELL] is that?’ Suddenly, a shadow appeared on the wall opposite us. Then about 100 metres away, this man on a motorised wheelchair emerged from around the corner. As he progressed towards us, it was one of those inappropriately amusing moments when we looked at each other and tried not to laugh. Then it stopped being inappropriately amusing and became quite scary. As he neared us, he slowed right down for the last ten metres, before coming to a complete stop in front of us. And then he just stared. And it wasn’t a friendly who-are-these-new-people-in-town kind of a stare, it was a would-it-be-worth-the-bother-transporting-these-girls-back-to-my-rape-dungeon kind of stare. I thought I’d try and break the ice. ‘Ahoj’ (hello). Nothing. Just more staring and silence. And that was the best I had as, in recent years, my Czech has fallen by the wayside.Not that it mattered - what else could I have possibly said to him? ‘My family live here and we are just visiting, so please don’t go Jack-The-Ripper on us’? ‘These earrings aren’t at all valuable – they were $5.95 from Diva…but you can have them if you really want.’? He continued to look from Kaitlyn to me; I continued to look from him to Kailtyn; Kaitlyn continued to look from me to him. And then he put his chair back into gear and slowly continued his way up the road.


And he was the only sign of life we saw for a half hour. Kaitlyn even said to me at one point, ‘I keep expecting a tumbleweed to come rolling down the street past us.’ Either that or John Wayne on a horse to save the day. Then I had an epiphany – aka employed some common sense. And I went and rang the doorbell on the front door. Instant reaction…only not the one I was looking for. Jacob, my cousin, opened the window above and bellowed down what I believe was a terse message of ‘The shop is closed for the day’. I yelled back in really simplified English – ‘Jacob! It’s Claire. From Australia.’ He just stared at me. Clearly he did not recognise me…which made sense seeing as last time he saw me he was running around in the back garden naked. He shut the window and for a few moments I thought we might be top-and-tailing the night on the park bench…or trying to track down Jack to see if we could sleep in his torture chamber. Then my aunt appeared. She too appeared to not recognise me for a moment – probably because I haven’t grown at all since she last time saw me. Whether or not Little Liba had told anyone we were coming, I will never know, but I guess it is entirely possible my general vagueness is genetic.

Big Liba ushered us inside and simultaneously phoned Little Liba and rustled together an enormous plate of food for us. Then she sat down at the table with us and we embarked on a series of crazy hand gestures as a form of communication. When I said my Czech has "fallen by the wayside" in recent years, my current skill-level is probably best defined as "virtually non-existent" or, even more accurately, "shit-house". So when Big Liba’s friend turned up to do her washing (the few words I could understand, coupled with the fact this lady arrived armed with a basketful of clothes and placed them in the washing machine allowed me to ascertain this), it was a welcome relief…at least initially. It was good to begin with as we were able to use broken Czech, beyond-broken English, and an iPhone dictionary to have some meaningless conversation, the highlight of which went a little something like this:

BLF (Big Liba’s Friend): ‘You are very brave travelling all this way from Australia.’
Claire: ‘Ummm….yes and no…’
BLF: ‘How old are you?’
Claire: ‘24’
BLF: Jaw hitting floor and eyebrows hitting ceiling.
'24? No?!’
Claire: Ano (confusingly this means ‘yes’ in Czech)
BLF: ‘I thought you were maybe 15.’
Claire: (Internally: You and everyone else.)

With the pleasantries over, our party of silence continued. Any observer would have been forgiven for mistaking our shindig for a Quaker Gathering. Then finally, after what seemed like hours, but was realistically only about a half hour, Little Liba arrived. Problem: although better than my Czech, the break between visits had caused a slight rusting of her bilingual skills. It didn’t take me long to realise our visit had all the makings of a terrible sitcom. More awkward, broken conversation ensued, and for the third time we had the same fragmented conversation about where we had been, where we were going, how long for, where we met, how I look like a child, what we studied at uni.


Then it was time to visit my uncle, Fester. Shockingly, Uncle Fester’s name isn’t actually Uncle Fester, but Slavek. When my aunt (ahodge, Brownie, if you’re reading this) first visited the fam', she noticed the striking resemblance Slavek has to Uncle Fester from The Addams Family. Even grandma now calls him Uncle Fester. Uncle Fester and his wife Christa live on the other side of the village which, whilst no more urbanised, certainly appears to be more heavily populated. Populated with persons who are as stuck in the 90’s as I am stuck in a one-sided love affair with Isaac Brock. I’m not sure from where one would buy a diamante-laden Halle Berry t-shirt these days (or, arguably, ever), but apparently they are possible to source in this area of the world. I must say they do nicely compliment the tight, flared, hipster white lycra pants to which Eastern European women are so partial. Advice From an Objective Foreigner: If you insist on wearing such constrictive, translucent pants, make sure the g-string you’re wearing underneath isn’t black.





By the time we started walking back, it must have reached - if not exceeded - the predicted maximum of 39 degrees. It was freaking hot. Another thing about male Czechs – particularly those in this village – is that they are as fond of going shirtless as their female counterparts are of ill-fitting, tight white lycra pants. And I’m totes down with this when a guy looks like Christian Bale or Mark Salling…but let’s just say my predisposition for a protruding ribcage does not come from this side of my gene pool. My fondness for beer, on the other hand, clearly does, which brings us nicely back to the quaint, rural scene in which we were all sitting in the sun around a wooden table, drinking beer and using the alcohol to break down the barriers of our language differences. Except for poor Kaitlyn, who does not enjoy beer in the slightest. After politely declining their offer of some local pivo, she asked if she could have some water. They were more than happy to oblige. I too had some water, only mine came courtesy of Kaitlyn’s oral cavity, as she sprayed my face and upper body with a mouthful. Turns out the water she had was "Czech Water" – an entire glass of pure, home-brewed vodka. One might think this is a nasty trick but, in reality, it is simply completely incomprehensible for my family that someone would not want to drink.

Now, according to the gentleman who took my Responsible Service of Alcohol course, the only thing that can sober a person up is time; not coffee, not water, not a cold shower – just time. I, however, beg to differ. After a couple of nice, cold beers in the sun, I was on that magnificent precipice of buzzed and tipsy. Then my little cousins, Adelka and Lucka, brought over some rabbits for us to pat. After playing with them for a couple of minutes, and learning that their names were Susie and Ferdinand, I asked whose pet was whose. Turns out Susie and Ferdinand were dinner, and with that, two of the shirtless men took them around the back of the shed, whilst a third followed with some tools. I can assure Mr RSA that this sobered me up better than any 4.00am kebab and a twelve -our sleep-in ever could.


Next time on ‘Culture Shock: Two Urban Aussies In Rural Czech Republic’, we avoid eating Susie and Ferdinand, spend a day in a spa town, attempt to cope without the Internet, watch Big Liba’s Friend become Big Leaching Friend, and celebrate as Kaitlyn and her liver embrace living like an Eastern European wog.

No comments:

Post a Comment